Skip to main content

EndSARS in Nigeria; They are a menace to the youths!



We have so many problems in my beautiful country Nigeria, men in uniforms; the Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS) is one of her biggest problem.

















These stories are a small medley of the  SARS brutality reports, as their misconduct has become a fixture of the news cycle on social media; a common occurrence. Despite the increasing regularity which we hear about these ‘bad eggs’ in the force, many of the politicians, spokespeople, activist and celebrities still maintain their silence and choose rather to highlight the police brutality happening in the USA. Their intended function was an attractive one, certainly, but unfortunately the agency doesn’t hold up to scrutiny. There are pertinent questions about the SARS that i have.

I always say our priorities are misplaced in this country, after the 2017 MOBO awards, Nigeria's most important politicians; the president, the vice president , a senator, and president want-to-be took notice and went on twitter to congratulate award winning musicians on their well-deserved awards; Wizkid and Davido. But not a squeak from them since the EndSARS hashtag have been trending on twitter. Talk about no concern, no action, no consequences. SARS is the most lawless and brutal ‘law enforcement’ agency that we have. They violate human rights based on their mood; they are a menace to the youths in the society. They are killers of youth. You can’t win with them.  They are supposed to combat Frauds and other high end crimes but every youth is a suspect. Peep some twits here


This brings me to the questions,

Who is their oga? 

Who is in charge of this unit?

Is the president blind to all of these happenings?

Is the Minister of Interior blind or deaf to the public outcry? 

How do they vet these people before giving them power on a platter of gold?

Are they educated?

What are the consequence for misconduct of a SARS agent?

What are the standards for what constitutes brutality?

Why are Youths the main target?

Why are good smart looking guys the target of this Squad?

Do the youths have any right to privacy or any? (I need this one to be spelt out)

Are the information of this squad and their designated areas in a proper data base?

Why haven’t the youths risen to stage a peaceful protest in Abuja (probably because they might get gunned down)?

I have too many questions and I want answers,
I am sure you do too

On a final note
In John Adams words
“Power always thinks it has a great soul,” and it cannot never be trusted if left unchecked”.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

10 reasons New Year is the absolute worst (for me)

  screenshot of the video below :)   1. You don't ACTUALLY really want to call or send the broadcast messages on Whatzapp Seriously, it is freaking exhausting trying to call everyone in your contact list like you are going to die if you don’t. Asides from the obvious reason you don’t want to call people (call credits), you find out you really just don’t feel like. Just the thought of the no content talk is already daunting and on top of that you are an introvert! WELP! 2. The Fireworks I used to love this as a kid, now I am at the quarter stage of my life and all I want is some damn quiet. 3. The Quiet The irony of this day is that it can also get too quiet. I stay in a low cost estate and it is like everyone is somewhere else. 4. You don’t actually want to go out I have friends hitting me up and asking if I am around so we can go hang out at cool spots like I promised a day before. Seriously, go out today? The mere thought of

Things I like about Rauf 'Ogbeni' Aregbesola--- amognst others

Recently I went to Osun state and the highlight of my days in Osun State was seeing the Governor Ogbeni Rauf Aregbesola with family and then actually talking to the first lady of Osun State Mrs Sherifat Aregbesola. If you ask 10 people that hail from Osun State but reside in Lagos about Ogbeni, they would probably turn their nose and say ‘that one na governor?’ “he does nothing but make unnecessary noise and moves”. I use to subscribe to these notions. I literary still made snaky comments about him changing Osun State to the State of Osun (I need to ask him about that) days before going to Osun. But on seeing him and listening to the people that actually live in Osun State, I am beginning to understand his intentions and I am partially starting to like him and what he is about.  I had to whoop out my phone real quick. it was a fan girl moment! Ogbeni as he is popularly called is described as a puzzle based on his nature and outlook towards certain issues that doesn’t nec