Skip to main content

Things I like about Rauf 'Ogbeni' Aregbesola--- amognst others



Recently I went to Osun state and the highlight of my days in Osun State was seeing the Governor Ogbeni Rauf Aregbesola with family and then actually talking to the first lady of Osun State Mrs Sherifat Aregbesola. If you ask 10 people that hail from Osun State but reside in Lagos about Ogbeni, they would probably turn their nose and say ‘that one na governor?’ “he does nothing but make unnecessary noise and moves”. I use to subscribe to these notions. I literary still made snaky comments about him changing Osun State to the State of Osun (I need to ask him about that) days before going to Osun. But on seeing him and listening to the people that actually live in Osun State, I am beginning to understand his intentions and I am partially starting to like him and what he is about. 
I had to whoop out my phone real quick. it was a fan girl moment!
Ogbeni as he is popularly called is described as a puzzle based on his nature and outlook towards certain issues that doesn’t necessarily sit well with common logic. But these are the little things I like about him and some things I heard too.

 He is Pro-Education
Driving through Osogbo I kept mute and was ready to give my leering comments about the overhyped educational structures and facilities, but lo and behold, I found out it was duly hyped. The school structures in Osun State are tailored to stand side by side with the international community in terms of standards and they are models that other states should look up to. Just merely looking at the aesthetics of the bulidings, you can aready envision a child assimilating what he/she is been taught. The schools have been given the best in terms of infrastructural facilities under governorship of ogbeni and what he has done is so clear. The schools like I heard are equipped with dining halls, potable water supply system with standard toilets facilities, reception areas, well organized staff rooms, library, recreation centre, common room, beautiful lawns and computer laboratory. It is no wonder I heard rthe enrollment in private schools have reduced drastically and that of the public schools have increased. I am a lover of the mind and this one makes me so happy.

 He is commuter friendly
The roads on an average were very good and commuter friendly. There were places were weren’t so good and there were some place that were too good (they needed bumps) but overall, Ogbeni did well, I was impressed. The bad roads were main roads leading to town and some I heard were federal roads.


  Aregbe thinks with the light on
 I stay on the mainland in lagos and I always curse PHCN officials (are they still called PHCN?, I don’t care to keep up with them anymore. Leave a comment to correct me please) but my days in Oshogbo were bliss based on say light dey wella. Ogbeni well done.

 Ogbeni has a warm heart:
I always assume those in politics are related to stonecold steve Austin, hearing stories from their relatives also didn’t help this my way of thinking. I attended an event and I heard Aregbesola was going to be in attendance and I thought to myself “that is the end of free movement” but reverse was the case. Ogbeni came and all he did was fall stort of kukuma hugging everyone. He was free and familish and my sister swore she saw him dancing shaku shaku. My point is, he is a core family man, not just on the surface or for the camera. All the old people in attendance were all smiles (in Nigeria when the old ones are not turning up there nose at you, you must be doing something right).

  Mr. Minimalist
The Simplicity of Ogbeni boggles my mind. All he wore for the event was a white kaftan and cap. I asked an indigene if it was just an act and he went  on to tell me the story of when he was the Commissioner for Works and Infrastructure in Lagos and how he use to wear cheap wristwatches to a point, he had to turn over the face of his wristwatches to stop peering eyes. I am an Economist and an Ijebu and I approve. I also heard he avoids the use of siren, he believes that it is just a means to intimidate the people who have given the leader the mandate.

The state of Osuns’ wife: Sherifat Aregbesola
It sucked that I had sore throat and wasn’t feeling my best when I met her. As a member of the National Youth Service Corps (NYSC), Ogbeni did his primary assignment at the now defunct Nigeria External Telecommunication (NET) in Kujama, Kaduna. During this period, he resided at Sabon Tasha, a suburb of Kaduna, where the company had staff quarters. It was during this period that met his wife and the incumbent First lady of the State of Osun – Sherifat Aregbesola.
The first lady of the State of Osun is a graduate of Catering and Hotel Management from the Lagos State Polytechnic; I am not concerned with her certification but with her personality. She is a friendly person, a soft spoken person and a dedicated person, I feel like she is also a good listener and you can tell she is a family person. I want to meet her again and ask questions

Ogbeni the dancer: Governor Aregbesola is a Fuji music lover. Ogbeni doesn’t just love dancing, I hear he is a great dancer (My sister still talks about the shaku shaku, I can’t tell if she is lying).

Although i still think he has the good intentions for the state, i  think he is handicapped by some people in the state and federal allocation. These are just my opinions but what do i know i am just a blogger *sips cold cocacola*

What do you think about Ogbeni?
Leave a comment
Thank you

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

10 reasons New Year is the absolute worst (for me)

  screenshot of the video below :)   1. You don't ACTUALLY really want to call or send the broadcast messages on Whatzapp Seriously, it is freaking exhausting trying to call everyone in your contact list like you are going to die if you don’t. Asides from the obvious reason you don’t want to call people (call credits), you find out you really just don’t feel like. Just the thought of the no content talk is already daunting and on top of that you are an introvert! WELP! 2. The Fireworks I used to love this as a kid, now I am at the quarter stage of my life and all I want is some damn quiet. 3. The Quiet The irony of this day is that it can also get too quiet. I stay in a low cost estate and it is like everyone is somewhere else. 4. You don’t actually want to go out I have friends hitting me up and asking if I am around so we can go hang out at cool spots like I promised a day before. Seriously, go out today? The mere thought of

EndSARS in Nigeria; They are a menace to the youths!

We have so many problems in my beautiful country Nigeria, men in uniforms; the Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS) is one of her biggest problem. These stories are a small medley of the  SARS brutality reports, as their misconduct has become a fixture of the news cycle on social media; a common occurrence. Despite the increasing regularity which we hear about these ‘bad eggs’ in the force, many of the politicians, spokespeople, activist and celebrities still maintain their silence and choose rather to highlight the police brutality happening in the USA. Their intended function was an attractive one, certainly, but unfortunately the agency doesn’t hold up to scrutiny. There are pertinent questions about the SARS that i have. I always say our priorities are misplaced in this country, after the 2017 MOBO awards, Nigeria's most important politicians; the president, the vice president , a senator, and president want-to-be took notice